As everyone knows, election day was yesterday. To say that it was an important election seems obvious, but it was important. The last and first election I voted in was the 2004 Presidential Election. I didn't know much about the candidates or the issues. I knew I didn't like George W. Bush too much but i also didn't know anything about John Kerry. In the end I voted for the lesser of two evils in my mind. This election I went to the website leaveyourprint.com and actually checked out each candidate in my area and read what they believe and where they stand on different issues. I decided who I wanted to vote for and when I went to the polls yesterday I felt prepared and excited.
It was amazingly WET yesterday when I got to the polls. I went around eight o'clock in the morning and I thought that there would be lines but I was surprised when I got there and there wasn't a line at all. I went to the wrong table at first because apparantly after two years of marriage I still think "keeffer" is my last name. Once I got to the right table they gave me my card and I went to the booths (there were like 5 open!), put it in and WRRR WRRR "Your ballot has been canceled, please see a voting coordinator." I was a little worried that I wasn't going to be able to vote and after all my preparation!! But they just reloaded it and I voted without a hitch.
All day I was waiting for people to ask me "who did you vote for?" This is the 2nd most exciting thing that i've got to do this year (the first being, Tafton). I voted for Bob Barr, Libertarian for President. I didn't watch the results last night thinking he would win but it was fun and interesting to watch the coverage last night and see Barack Obama win.

I think I'm more interested in who is winning the local elections. I still haven't found out everyone who has won but I have my notes here of who I've voted for and I'm going to compare it to who won. I wish I had more time to give to campaigning. If I was a stay-at-home Mom I think I would participate in campaigning.
Overall, I hope that the excitement in the democratic process and picking our leaders stays up over the coming years. I think it is wonderful how many young people got out and voted. I think America is getting back its patriotic spirit.
It was amazingly WET yesterday when I got to the polls. I went around eight o'clock in the morning and I thought that there would be lines but I was surprised when I got there and there wasn't a line at all. I went to the wrong table at first because apparantly after two years of marriage I still think "keeffer" is my last name. Once I got to the right table they gave me my card and I went to the booths (there were like 5 open!), put it in and WRRR WRRR "Your ballot has been canceled, please see a voting coordinator." I was a little worried that I wasn't going to be able to vote and after all my preparation!! But they just reloaded it and I voted without a hitch.
All day I was waiting for people to ask me "who did you vote for?" This is the 2nd most exciting thing that i've got to do this year (the first being, Tafton). I voted for Bob Barr, Libertarian for President. I didn't watch the results last night thinking he would win but it was fun and interesting to watch the coverage last night and see Barack Obama win.

I think I'm more interested in who is winning the local elections. I still haven't found out everyone who has won but I have my notes here of who I've voted for and I'm going to compare it to who won. I wish I had more time to give to campaigning. If I was a stay-at-home Mom I think I would participate in campaigning.
Overall, I hope that the excitement in the democratic process and picking our leaders stays up over the coming years. I think it is wonderful how many young people got out and voted. I think America is getting back its patriotic spirit.









2 comments:
I too thought it was awesome to see all the patriotism in this election.
Very eloqouently put!! I wasn't surprised by the outcome of the election, but I have to say, I am very excited about the future of our country and can't wait to see what Obama has in store for us.
Post a Comment