Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Self Sufficient

I was sick earlier this week with both a cold and pink eye (thanks kids!). So I had a lot of time at home that I wasn't doing a lot other than blog surfing and pinterest (Is anyone else addicted to this website?). I cam across THIS blog. It's all about this families challenge to use only their food storage for 3 months straight. Honestly it's not the best written blog but it was inspiring to see how they ate and made it work. It made me think what am I doing and what can we be doing better at?

We've had definite financial difficulties in our short 6 years of marriage. When we've had to tighten our belts we've done it. Lately though we've been much looser. I want to tighten up again. If I'm ever going to be able to stay home with my kids even part time we need to learn how to not only budget but stick to our budget. Looking at all the bills we have to pay each month the only thing that I think we can cut back on is groceries. This is hard because I'm wanting us to eat mostly organic and natural foods which are more expensive and usually there aren't coupons. So what I've decided is that we should start using the food storage that we do have while still stocking up on free or nearly free items.

So I decided rather than buying bread this weekend, I'd make it! It's the first time I've made bread probably since 5th grade science project that I think my Mom basically did. I'm hoping that I can improve the bread's look and taste each time until we have bread that's even better than store-bought. I feel good because we're using the food we already have rather than spending $$$ for even more food. Oh yeah - I also made freezer jam with all my strawberries. Another first! It taste good but it's a lot runnier than I was expecting. Is that normal for freezer jam?


I'm hoping for us to be a self sufficient family so when an emergency happens, either disaster or financial, we'll be ready.

7 comments:

Charissa & Don Bishop said...

My batch last year turned out runny, but it don't think I put enough pectin in since I doubled the recipe, oops! But this year it was great! Maybe we can make bread together when I come??

Megan Passey said...

That would be cool. I think i want to get a bread maker because it'd be nice to make bread and walk away and do my other errands

Becca said...

Random off topic comment! Remember that time with the pound cake? Remember that time we made sugar cookies at Sarah apartment here in Utah? (and thought they were good until someone pointed out to us that they weren't?) Remember that time we danced crazily to that song? (you know what song I'm talking about!) Thanks for the voice mail, and yes, I remember that time.

Megan Passey said...

every time I hear that song I see you dancing crazily. I don't think it was me at all! I was just watching you. You must've been on a sugar high!

Sarah Moran said...

Freezer jam is normally a little runnier than regular jam. If you want any bread recipes I can send you some. I've been trying to make our own bread as well and I've found one white and one wheat recipe that make really good bread.

Megan Passey said...

PLEASE send me any recipes that you've found useful! Thanks!

Becca said...

Then Megan you can send the bread recipes to me! Sarah made bread while I was there a couple years ago and it was the best homemade bread EVER!!



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com